Monday, September 12, 2011

16 Week Appointment... Scary Start & Happy Ending

I wont be 16 weeks until Wed but I had my 16 week appointment today. Like my last appointment it started with getting weighed (actually lost 1lb from last appointment) then got my vitals checked. Everything looked good there. The midwife then talked to me about my lab results from my last appointment, thankfully everything came back normal. Then it was my favorite part, time to hear the heartbeat with the Fetal Doppler.
The midwife put the gel on my tummy and looked for the heartbeat. She looked and looked and like my last appointment couldn't find the heartbeat. After 5 minutes or so of not being able to find the heartbeat the midwife decided that maybe the battery was getting low and went to find another Fetal Doppler. Once she had the new Fetal Doppler the midwife continued to look for a heartbeat and again couldn't find it. Thats when I really started to worry. The midwife had been looking for a heartbeat for over 10 minutes and couldn't hear anything but my own. The midwife decided that it would be best to bring in the portable ultrasound machine and look for the baby there. She told me not to worry and that she is sure everything is okay with the baby but of course I worried. She wheeled in the machine and put more gel on my belly and immediately I saw the baby. The baby is perfect! I got to see him/her squirm around then turned and looked at us through the screen and wave its little hand as if to say "hi!" I got to see the babies heart beating (a healthy 160 bpm) and the baby even started to suck his/her thumb, it was adorable. The baby has really grown since the last time I got to see him/her. I asked the midwife why she couldn't find the heartbeat and she said it was because the baby was really active and moving all over the place so she couldn't get a read on the heartbeat. I am just happy that the baby is okay! I started off  my appointment being really worried but ended up being really happy that I got to see the baby and I know he/she is very healthy and very active. Does that mean that the baby will be very active when he/she arrives? I guess we will see in approximately 24 weeks :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment